Halos. It’s been a while. I Hope you’ve been well, living life, keeping things real and enjoying all that 2018 has to offer.
This post has been a long time coming to be honest and I have packed a lot in it. As you know, when I like something, I share; so today’s post is about my absolutely awesome things in 2018- things I have discovered so far in this year. I wish I could give a review on all but then my post will be way toooo long for you to read. But I promise, you might just enjoy checking out some of these recommendations. Let me cut to the chase and get into it. Enjoy!
1. Best books I read
I read some books which were average, good and some, I didn’t even finish reading. But some were reaaally awesome. Here is a list of those awesome books.
- The Weight of Silence – Heather Goodenkaf
- 9 things successful people do differently– Heidi Grant Halvorson (not my typical type of title to read but tHis one is really packed with so much insight).
- A Good Fall– Ha Jin
- I hope this reaches her in time (Poems) – R.H. Sin
- The Art Of The Good Life– Rolf Dobelli
- The Secret Life of Baba Segi’s wives– Lola Shoneyin
- Earning It (Hard-Won lessons from TrailBlazing Women at the Top of the Business World)- Joann S. Lublin.
- The Turkish Gambit– Boris Akunin (apparently this has been adapted into a movie…)
- Why Her? Nicki Koziarz (delves into envy, jealousy, comparison etc. Highly recommended)
- Born A Crime– Trevor Noah
- Year of Yes– Shonda Rhimes
- Man’s Search for Meaning– Viktor Frankl
- Euphoria (Poems)- R.H. Sin
- Rainbow in the Clouds– Maya Angelou
- Their Eyes were watching God– Zora Neale Hurston
2. Best movies watched
It’s been a looooooooooooooooooong time since I watched movies so when I got a bit of respite this year, I decided to indulge myself. Obviously some of these movies were released before 2018 but still, I just want to share with you. The Hacksaw Ridge and Lion movies specifically had me in tears- think the snort inducing type of tears. These are true life stories which even made the experience more profound for me. But apart from these 2 personal blockbusters, some others delighted and amused me.
- Hacksaw Ridge– this is the one that made me cry
- Lion– jeez, I sobbed for the greater part with this one
- Sing– animated movie that I’ve watched thrice so far
- A Hologram for the King- light hearted Tom Hanks movie
- The Man from U.N.C.L.E- crazy but fun
- House Sitter – Goldie Hawn & Steve Martin (an old movie but such a goodie)
- Queen of Katwe- true life story
- Argo– liked Ben Affleck in this one
- Ferdinand– my 1st 3D animated movie experience (don’t laugh, there’s a 1st time for everything right?)
- Get Out– amusing, weird and enlightening at the same time
3. Best skincare products
You already know that I am in love with The Body Shop’s skincare products because they are good value for money and awesome quality too. My skin has never been in a better shape to be honest and I am damn lucky I discovered these skin gems. And then the Zara perfumes-OMG- no words here. Do yourself a favour, step into a Zara store and go to the perfume booth. You’ll thank me later.
- The Body Shop Drops of Light Brightening Serum– R275 for 30ml.
- The Body Shop Drops of Light Brightening Day Cream– R230 for 50ml (use before SPF)
- The Body Shop Vitamin C (Glow Boosting Moisturiser)– R195 for 50ml
- The Body Shop British Rose Eau De Toilette- R200 for 100ml
- The Body Shop Havana Red Matte lipstick- R150
- Zara Aqua Di Gio Perfume (100ml) R175
- Zara White & Rose Perfume (2 bottles of 100ml each) R249. The Rose perfume smells like Dior’s J’Adore
- Oh So Heavenly Dancing Daydream Eau De Toilette R120
- Yardley Intense Rogue lipstick (Crave lipstick) R89 (This one is proper and I’m really loving it)
- Yardley Intense Matte 16-hour lipstick (Drama Queen) R119
4. Favourite songs I’m loving right now (like, these songs are on repeat and make me happy)
- Never Give up– Sia (Original Motion Picture sound track for LION)
- La Fete– Falz
- Blinded by Your Grace– Stormzy feat. MNEK
- Praying– Kesha
- Maradona– Niniola
- Tilted– Christine & The Queens (heard this for the 1st time in March and it’s been on repeat ever since
- Naaa Meaan– Nadia Nakai (feat. Casper Nyovest)
- Energy– Skepta & Wizkid
- Meant To Be– Bebe Rexha
- Different- Shekinah feat. Mariechan
- Saviour– Iggy Azalea (feat. Quavo)
- Heaven & Earth (the entire album)- Kamasi Washington
- Legbegbe– Mr Real (feat. Obadice & Idowest)
- Killed A Man– Nana Atta
- NASIR (the entire album)- Nas
- Elephant in the Room (entire album)- Nico & Vinz
- N.W.A– Phyno feat. Wale
- Electric Package (entire album)– Seyi Shay
- God of the Impossible- Lincoln Brewster
5. Podcasts I am hooked on
These have pretty much been my potions on my morning and afternoon commute to work and home. These are all available on apple store but should be on google’s as well.
- Jesus & Jollof podcast (presented by two crazy, as in extremely crazy Nigerian women)
- Nigerian American podcast
- HBR: Dear HBR podcast (if you are a career person, this is definitely a must-listen to)
- The Knowledge Project podcast
6. Blogs I love
I love my own blog (we both do right?, wink wink) but I like to read these ones on a regular basis for my health, mental, social and emotional wellbeing.
- Mark Manson
- Mind Body Green
- Becoming Who You Are.net
- Thirteen Thoughts.
- Behind the Schmile
7. Cool apps
- LinkedIn Learning app- an immediate knowledge provider
- Culture trip app- with so much to do in Jozi, this app helps to explore the city
You see? So many awesome things right, I told you!
I’ll catch up with you soon though. Till then, keep shining friend, share this blog with your awesome tribe and take care of yourself. xoxoxo